The Master Gardener Association of Cameron County is a non-profit educational and charitable association
working with the AgriLIFE Extension to improve gardening skills throughout our community. Program objectives are implemented through the training of local volunteers known as Master Gardeners. We collaborate with AgriLIFE Extension to conduct community & youth education; establish and maintain demonstration gardens; and provide a speakers bureau.
Our demonstration garden, The Arboretum is located at the corner of Williams Road and Expressway 77 in San Benito at the County Annex. It contains Butterfly Gardens, a Self-guided Compost Demonstration, vegetable gardens, and labeled trees that grow well in deep South Texas.
Held on the second Thursday of each month.
- 6:15 p.m. – Social
- 6:30 p.m. – Program
- 7:00 p.m. – Business Meeting
We meet in the Extension Meeting Room, Cameron County San Benito Annex, located at the corner of Expressway 77 and Williams Road
Upcoming Important Dates! (see calendar for details)
- February 23 Master Gardener 5th Class 9:00 AM
- March 2 Master Gardener 6th Class 9:00 AM
- March 3 Executive Committee Meeting 5:30PM
- March 8 Tree Species for the RGV and Tree Management 5:30 PM
- March 9 Intern Activity Day! 9:00 AM
- March 10 Association Meeting 6:15 PM
- March 16 Master Gardener Spring Social/ Activity Day! 9:00 AM
- March 23 Master Gardener 7th Class 9:00 AM
- March 30 Master Gardener 8th Class 9:00 AM
April 27-29, 2011 at the Somervell County Expo Center in beautiful Glen Rose, Texas!
List of Activities
- Weed the bed by the County Annex entrance!
- Bring raw materials for the compost demonstration
- Turn the compost piles and water
- Water the planted trees every Tuesday. If you think they may not be dry yet, check the soil 6-12″ deep
- Clean out the round bed inside the sidewalk. This planting bed is to be completely re-worked the EarthKind way
- Chip / shred the brush pile behind the tool shed
- Weed the butterfly beds
- If you are interested in replacing the signage before the plant sale, contact Jennifer Herrera in the Extension office.
8:30 am – 11:30 am - but Master Gardeners can always work when it is most convenient for their schedule. Key to the tool shed is kept in the Extension Office.
What to Bring
Gloves, Water, Sunscreen, High Energy!